In today’s world, every man and women, regardless of age, wanna look younger than their chronological age. They want to maintain their skin youthful and healthy for a longer time.
In this modern world of advance technology getting a young and healthy skin, even if you have crossed your 30s, is a dream come true by using different useful products and treatments.
Before going into detail discussion of photoaging we need to understand first the aging process and its types.
The process of getting older is called aging.
Intrinsic aging (natural aging)
Extrinsic aging( photoaging)
We are living in a society where maintaining a youthful skin is highly desired. Skin changes as we age and this process of skin aging is a combination of extrinsic aging and intrinsic aging. Extrinsic aging is influenced by external factors and is 90% of the total aging process and intrinsic aging is influenced by internal body factors and is only 10% of the total aging process.
Over time skin changes and fine lines appear on skin such as around the eyes and lips. The age spots also appear on face, shoulders and hands surface. Intrinsic aging is natural aging and can,t be avoided. Extrinsic aging is 90% of total aging and is mainly accelerated by phtoaging, it can be avoided and control by using different products.
What is photoaging:
Photoaging also known as Dermatoheliosis refers to pre-mature aging of skin caused by prolong exposure to sun ultra-violet radiation such as UV-A and UV-B.
Photoaging is more intensive in those people who live in sunny geographical areas and having fair skin tone because of great exposure to UVR.
Signs of photoaging:
- Wrinkles, rough skin and uneven skin tone
- Hypo-pigmentation or hyper-pigmentation
- Appearance of spider veins on nose, cheeks and neck.
- Appearance of leathery skin and laxity
- Scaly red patches, called actinic keratoses.
- Age spots appearance
- Skin cancer and melanoma in severe cases
UV-rays and skin aging:
Researchers found that sun UV-rays greatly influenced skin aging. Sun emits different types of rays which are harmful to human body . the ozone layer surrounding the earth filter mostly these harmful rays but still two types of rays i-e UVA and UVB passes the ozone layer and reach the earth. These UV-rays greatly damage the human body specifically skin and induce aging called Photoaging.
The ambient sun consist of UV-A and UV-B rays. The UV-A has largest wavelength while UV-b has short
Hypodermis(below the dermis)
UV-A and skin:
The UV-A has the following effect on skin:
- In general the UV-A age the skin
- UV-A deeply penetrate the skin epidermis and dermis layer
- Causes damage to proteins like collagen and elastin which keeps the skin strong and elastic
- Long-term dermal structure deterioration
- Appearance of wrinkles
- Spotty pigmentation
- UV-A produces reactive oxygen species(ROS)
- The UV-A can passes the glass so you could possibly get photo-aged skin while you are indoors.
UV-B and skin:
The UV-B ray has the following effects:
- UV-B rays are more energetic
- It cause sunburns
- Skin reddening
- damage skin’s cell DNA directly
- causes most of cancers
- UV-B do not penetrate glass significantly
How to prevent photoaging:
Safety measurements should be taken to prevent photo-aging. The external factors which cause pre-mature aging make up 90% of total aging process. Sun is the main cause of aging. But luckily this kind of aging is preventable.
We could prevent photo-aging by taking the following measurements.
- Limit your exposure to sun particularly between 10AM to 4PM
- Best way of sun protection is cover up.
- Wear full sleeves dress, hat and sunglasses
- Use broad spectrum sunscreen (which protect against UV-A and UV-B )
- Never use tanning beds as they emit same kind of UV rays
- UV-rays reach you even its cloudy day so use broad spectrum sunscreen
- You are not safe while you are indoors, because UV-A can reach you there as well. So wear sunscreen which gives protection against UV-A.
- Some medicines such as antibiotics and acne medicines make skin more sensitive to UV- rays. Check it twice or ask your doctor or pharmacist while taking such prescription.
How to treat photoaging:
the effects of photoaging. We are giving a brief explanation below:
Retinoids are derivatives of vitamin A. they can cure photoaged skin. The first retinoid being used for the treatment of photoaging was tretinoid and was extensively studied. Other retinoids such as adapalene,alitretinoin and tazarotene etc could also be used while treating photoaging.
Vitamin c has anti-oxidant properties and also helps in collagen formation. Thus topically applied vitamin c is use in prevention and treatment of skin ageing.
As the name indicates the chemical peel treatment uses chemicals to peel away the top most layer of the skin. Chemical peel is a form of exfoliation that uses chemical solution.
Chemical peels improve skin color, texture and tone. It also induces new cells growth , collagen formation and increase hydration.
Dermabrasion and microdermabrasion:
These are exfoliating techniques in which the doctor sands the skin’s outermost layer using special instruments or small exfoliating crystals that are sprayed on skin. Both work best for acne scars, fine wrinkles, spotted skin, sun damage, uneven skin tone and redness etc.
Laser skin resurfacing:
This method uses high energy light to burn away damage skin. Laser skin resurfacing method is use to treat scars and fine wrinkles without damaging the top layers of the skin.
Botulinum toxin is used to treat aged skin by paralyzing the underlying muscles to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
Some people can also go for plastic surgeries such as facelift, brow lift and other cosmetic surgical process.
The effects of photoaging get started in early 20s if you get excessive exposure to sun. to get rid off of deep wrinkles, scars and sunburns most of people go for painful and expensive treatments. To avoid such treatments the prevention is better than cure. Use broad spectrum sunscreens and sunblock which gives protection from both UV-A and UV-B.
You can get best products for photoaging treatment on world best website i-e sephora.com with amazing discounts and coupons which will save your money as well as will give your desire results.